The Rame Conservation Trust – Conserving Heritage Assets for Public Benefit

Redoubt 4 (Grenville Battery)

Redoubt 4, grade 11 listed and a designated Scheduled Monument, was built between  1760 and 1791. It formed part of a group of temporary defensive structures connected with the War of American Independence. The battery had 15 gun embrasures. It was disarmed in 1815, re-armed in 1849 and remodelled in 1887, when a sea-facing wall and bomb proof accommodation were added. In 1899 the redoubt was renamed ‘Grenville Battery’ and was intended to defend against battleship bombardment.

More information can be found here.

Maker Memories

The national award winning community-led Maker Memories Project captures the rich and diverse stories of Maker Camp and Maker Heights that exist in living memory.

More information can be found here.